Denica Veselinova (Bulgaria 1983, based en Madrid) is a Spanish visual artist who uses multiple disciplines in her works, such as installation, interaction, video, photography and drawing.
She started studying art at the age of 11 in Bulgaria, continuing her training at the National School of Fine Arts “Ilia Petrov” (Sofia, Bulgaria), specialising in Painting (1996-2001) where she finished with special mention, first in her class. She then moved to Madrid to study at the Complutense University where received a BA in Fine Arts (2002-2007). Denica also holds a Master Degree in “Arts, Creation and Research” from the same University (2007-2008).
In 2005-2006 she received a “Erasmus” scholarship at the Academy of Fine Arts, Rome and in 2006-2007 a “Séneca” scholarship at the University of La Laguna, Tenerife. She obtained a research grant by the Faculty of Fine Arts, University of La Laguna and the Contemporary Engraving Centre of the City Council of Santa Cruz de Tenerife (2006-2007). In 2008 she obtained a scholarship at the Painting and New Technologies Department at the Faculty of Fine Arts, Complutense University of Madrid. In 2011-2014 she obtained a training and research grant from Aula Mentor, Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport in Madrid.
In 2010 Denica was awarded the “Most Promising Video Artist” prize at MADATAC Festival with the audiovisual Ensoñación Líquida (2008). Recently she was granted with the award in the contest Circuitos of Fine Arts (Edition XXVII) at the Community of Madrid, to produce an interactive video installation project called NotMakeSense (2016). Denica was selected by the jury to take up an artist residency at the LABoral Art and Industrial Creation Centre in Gijón (Spain) with her interactive installation called Mouthsaic (2017), which was exhibited there in October 2017- January 2018. The installation was also part of her solo exhibition Des-comunicados (2018) in the Gallery Set Espai D’Art, Valencia.
Currently she is the artistic director at La Peonza Digital audiovisual production studio.
Denica has participated in numerous exhibitions in Spain, Italy, England, Taiwan, Bulgaria, Macedonia, Greece.
Her work has been exhibited in several shows at (selection):
- Gallery Set Espai D’Art, Valencia (solo show)
- DAFT Digital Art Festival, Taipei, Taiwan
- Video Art Festival Miden, Kalamata, Greece
- Sala Arte Joven, Madrid
- LABoral – Art and Industrial Creation Center, Gijón
- CentroCentro, Madrid
- Foundation Antonio Pérez, Cuenca
- Fair Estampa – Contemporary Multiple Art, Madrid
- Casa de América, Madrid
- La Casa do Brasil, Madrid
- Spanish-Bulgarian Center, Madrid (solo show)
- Contemporary Engraving Center, Santa Cruz de Tenerife (solo show)
- Espazo Xove, Ourense
- Foundation Antonio Pérez, Cuenca
- Museum Gonzalez Byass, Cádiz
- Exhibition Hall of the Faculty of Fine Arts, University Complutense of Madrid
- Art Room – Foro de Pozuelo, Madrid
- Art Room MIRA, Pozuelo de Alarcón, Madrid
- Institute of Culture León
- Botanical Garden of the University Complutense of Madrid
- France Embassy, Madrid
- Istituto Italiano di Cultura, Abrantes Palace, Madrid
- Cultural Center Azuqueca de Henares, Guadalajara
- National Library of Spain, Madrid
- Historical Library, Madrid
- Art Room Caja Canarias, Santa Cruz de Tenerife
- Gallery Báculo, Madrid
- Gallery Alfama, Madrid
- Gallery Movart, Madrid
- Gallery Tribeca, Madrid
- Gallery Rina Bouwen, Madrid
- Gallery Estampa, Madrid
- Gallery Alma Mater – University St. Kliment Ohridski, Sofia, Bulgaria (solo show)
- Gallery Ramazzotti, Kavadarci, Macedonia
- Gallery Dudin, Dojran, Macedonia
- Gallery Momir, Ohrid, Macedonia